Skip to main content

Latest Match Report

22:25 21st June 2012
By  Joe Questier

Wolves 1-1 Derby County

Substitute Theo Robinson struck late in injury time to seal a well deserved point for Nigel Clough's men, as the Rams drew 1-1 with Wolverhampton Wanderers.

Wolves thought they had done enough to secure the victory following Kevin Doyle's first-half strike from close range. However, with just seconds remaining Robinson found space in the penalty area to curl the ball past Carl Ikeme into the bottom corner.

The Rams were out of the blocks quickly as with just 40 seconds gone on the clock, Craig Bryson found space on the left and delivered a low cross into the penalty area, but a combination of Conor Sammon and Christophe Berra turned the ball over the crossbar.

However, 10 minutes later it was Stale Solbakken’s men who had a great opportunity to take the lead. Slawomir Peszko’s deep cross from the left was knocked down by Doyle at the far post. The ball landed in between James O’Connor and Sylvan Ebanks-Blake, but as the former tried to clear, Ebanks-Blake reacted quickest before smashing his effort against the crossbar from just six-yards out.

The Rams responded valiantly and had three good opportunities in the space of 10 minutes. Firstly, Jamie Ward’s clever flick found Sammon on the edge of the area, but the Irishman’s low strike was well held by goalkeeper Ikeme.

After providing Sammon with the opportunity to open the scoring, Ward had two chances of his own moments later. On 18 minutes the 26-year-old forced Ikeme into a good save, as the Wolves ‘keeper tipped his effort onto the post. 

Minutes later Ward was once again denied by Ikeme, as the Northern Irish international blasted a 20-yard free-kick towards goal, but the ‘keeper was equal to it; parrying the ball away to safety.

On the half-an-hour mark, Ward looked certain to score following Bryson’s clever pull-back, however Roger Johnson denied the former Sheffield United forward with a fantastic last ditch tackle.

However, for all the Rams’ good work going forward and their neat, passing football, the home side took the lead against the run of play in the 35th minute.

David Edwards’ powerful run down the right culminated in the former Luton Town midfielder finding 
Doyle in the penalty area. The Irish international swivelled well and calmly fired past Frank Fielding from eight yards out.

In the second-half, it was once again the Ward Vs Ikeme show as the former Aston Villa trainee watched his 20-yard strike beaten away by the Wolves’ number 13.

Then Paul Coutts’ free-kick from the right was met by the towering Richard Keogh, but the former Coventry City defender’s powerful header flew inches over the crossbar.

The Rams continued to pour forward in numbers, desperate to find an equaliser and with 10 minutes remaining, manager Clough introduced Robinson and Michael Jacobs from the substitutes’ bench.

And in the closing stages Robinson looked to have been sent clean through on goal, however just as the former Millwall striker was about to pull the trigger, Johnson got back to poke the ball behind for a corner.

However, in the final few seconds, the Rams' perseverance was rewarded, as Jeff Hendrick's clever pass found Robinson inside the penalty area, and the 23-year-old took one touch before dispatching his effort past the despairing dive of Ikeme to send the visiting supporters into euphoria. 

Derby County: Fielding (GK); Brayford, Keogh, O'Connor, Roberts; Coutts (Jacobs 80), Hendrick, Bryson, Hughes (Tyson 67); Ward, Sammon (Robinson 80).

Subs Not Used: Legzdins (GK), Doyle, Gjokaj, Freeman.

Wolverhampton Wanderers: Ikeme (GK); Zubar, Berra, Johnson, Ward; Peszko, Edwards, Davis (Forde 58), Doumbia (Jonsson 85); Doyle, Ebanks-Blake.

Subs Not Used: De Vries (GK), Elokobi, Stearman, Sigurdason, Nouble, Jonsson.

Attendance: 21,861


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.