Skip to main content

Latest Match Report

21:32 23rd October 2012

Ipswich Town 1-2 Derby County

Nathan Tyson’s dramatic 90th minute strike secured a 2-1 win for the Rams over Ipswich Town at Portman Road.

DJ Campbell opened the scoring in the 24th minute despite the Rams’ appeals for offside, before Robinson turned the ball home from inside the six-yard box 16 minutes later.

As Ipswich pushed for a winner, the Rams broke forward in the final minute in a swift countering-attacking move, and Tyson was in the right place at the right time to send the ball beyond goalkeeper Stephen Henderson.

Despite Town’s recent form, it was the home side that almost broke the deadlock in the opening minute of the game. 

Former Manchester United winger Lee Martin escaped the clutches of the Rams’ defenders and fired low towards the bottom corner. Thankfully for Derby, Adam Legzdins was equal to it and produced a fantastic one handed stop. 

With less than nine minutes gone Ipswich poured forward in attack once again, as Rams skipper Richard Keogh slipped at the vital moment, however Jay Emmanuel-Thomas’ drive was beaten away by Legzdins, before DJ Campbell volleyed the resulting rebound high over the crossbar.

However, the Rams began to relax and their opening chance of the game followed shortly after the opening quarter. Will Hughes’ determined run was put to an end by Luke Chambers’ clumsy challenge on the edge of the penalty area. League debutant Michael Jacobs stepped up and sent a curling 20-yard effort into Stephen Henderson’s side netting.

But just as Derby were beginning to look comfortable in possession at Portman Road, Ipswich took the lead in controversial circumstances in the 24th minute. Ritchie Wellens hooked the ball into the Rams’ penalty area, and as the Derby defenders raised their arms in unison looking for an offside decision, DJ Campbell kept his cool and slotted past Legzdins, despite the best efforts of James O’Connor.

Jay Emmanuel-Thomas and Aaron Cresswell fired warning signs either side of the half-an-hour mark, with the former beating three Rams players before forcing Legzdins into a smart stop at his near post.

Despite the home side’s dominant opening, the Rams found themselves back on level terms five minutes before the interval. Conor Sammon’s low strike from the edge of the penalty area was parried right into the path of Robinson, who duly tucked the ball away from inside the six-yard box to send the Rams in level at the break.

The home side started the second period on top as Wellens scooped an effort over following Emmanuel-Thomas’ clever lay off, whilst Cresswell forced another fine save from Legzdins with his 25-yard thunderbolt.

Then the Rams had two chances of their own as Jacobs stormed forward in quick counter attacking moves. His first effort came following a lung-busting run through the middle of the pitch which ended in a 20-yard effort from the former Northampton man, that forced Henderson into action.

Moments later Jacobs sent a stinging drive inches past the far post, as the Rams began to grow in confidence has the half went on.

With 20 minutes remaining, both sides continued to press for a winner as Ipswich’s Emmanuel-Thomas tried his luck from long-range, only to see his effort beaten away by Legzdins, whilst Coutts sent a thumping effort narrowly over the crossbar from a tight angle – with Henderson well beaten.

With the supporters beginning to get behind the home side, Ipswich looked most likely to snatch all three points, however the Rams stormed forward in the final minute and scored a dramatic winner.

Sammon escaped down the right and sent a low ball across the six-yard box, and thankfully for the Rams, Tyson was on hand to scoop the loose ball past Henderson and seal an enthralling victory.

Derby County: Legzdins (GK); Brayford, Keogh, Buxton, O’Connor; Jacobs (Davies 75), Bryson, Coutts, Hughes; Robinson (Tyson 82), Sammon.

Subs Not Used: Deeney (GK), O’Brien, Bennett, Roberts, Freeman. 

Ipswich Town: Henderson (GK); Edwards, Chambers, Higginbotham, Cresswell; Drury (Scotland 63), Reo-Coker, Wellens, Martin; Emmanuel-Thomas, Campbell (Chopra 63).

Subs Not Used: Loach (GK), Smith, Hyam, Mohsni, Carson.

Attendance: 15,417 (329 Visiting Supporters) 


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.