Skip to main content

Latest Match Report

17:00 31st August 2013

Derby County 0-3 Burnley

Burnley made it four victories from their last four encounters at Pride Park Stadium, as Derby County suffered a disappointing 3-0 home defeat.

The last time Derby overcame the Clarets at home was in January 2007, when striker Steve Howard's early goal gave the Rams a 1-0 victory at Pride Park. 

But at the home of the Rams this afternoon, goals from Danny Ings, Sam Vokes and Jason Shackell secured the three points for Sean Dyche’s men.

With the score at 2-0, former Dundee United forward Johnny Russell had the opportunity to halve the deficit from the spot, but the 23-year-old was thwarted by the heroics of Tom Heaton, in what was an afternoon to forget for the hosts.

The Rams initially began proceedings with a 4-4-2 formation; Paul Coutts positioned on the right and Jamie Ward on the opposite flank, and it was Ward’s disguised free-kick that almost had the home side ahead.

The Northern Ireland international gave the impression as though he was going to shoot from 30-yards, before delicately chipping the ball towards Jake Buxton, but the former Mansfield Town defender could not quite get enough purchase on his header, as the ball trickled wide. 

Former Bournemouth forward Ings then displayed a sign of a player full of confidence following his four goals in the side’s opening six appearances, as his instinctive volley on the turn from 35-yards dropped narrowly over the crossbar.

Burnley’s winger Keith Treacy followed Ings’ effort with a free-kick that caused havoc in the Rams’ penalty area, as the ball bounced around as though it was in a pinball machine, before eventually deflecting off of Ben Mee and inches wide of goal. 

Despite neat spells of possession football from Derby, the hosts lacked penetration in the final third of the pitch – although it did take a moment of sheer individual brilliance from Burnley for the Rams to go behind. 

The in-form Ings picked up the ball from just inside the Rams’ half and ghosted his way to the edge of the penalty area, brushing off the advances of Richard Keogh and Kieron Freeman along the way, before prodding the ball into the bottom corner. 

The Rams responded, as Russell, who was always stretching, looped a header wide from Coutts’ cross, before manager Nigel Clough changed tact and pushed Ward inside to play behind the front two, and Coutts into a central midfield role.

However, despite the change in formation, Derby could do nothing to stop Trippier’s perfectly flighted cross from the right causing tribulations in the Rams’ penalty area. 

But the following events could have been avoided, as Freeman’s misdirected header flew across goal, where Will Hughes’ hooked clearance rebounded off of Vokes’ head and into the net.  

Regardless of their clear disappointment, the Rams once again displayed a valiant response, with Russell firing wide from a tight angle, as the ball, frustratingly, would not quite settle in front of goal for him. 

Derby finished the half the stronger side and almost pulled a goal back when Russell’s knockdown found Martin, who unfortunately got the ball stuck under his feet as he scooped over from eight-yards.

In the second half, Clough implemented the first of his three changes, with Adam Smith replacing Freeman at right-back. 

The Tottenham Hotspur loanee, who impressed in the midweek victory over Brentford, showed is attacking intent within a minute of his introduction, as after linking up with Hughes, the full-back fired over from 20-yards. 

After making a number of defensive errors that led directly to Burnley’s second of the game, the Clarets almost matched the Rams’ frailties. Russell preempted Tripper’s header back to goalkeeper Heaton, but the former Dundee United forward slammed a volley into the side netting. 

The Rams were handed a golden opportunity to force themselves back into the game in the 63rd minute when referee Andrew Madley awarded the hosts a spot kick, following what appeared to be a fair tackle on Martin by Shackell.

Russell stepped up confidently after opening his Derby account from the spot on the opening day of the season, but this time the forward saw his strike from 12-yards superbly kept out by the sprawling dive of Heaton. 

Former Wolverhampton Wanderers striker Vokes almost made matters worse moments later, as his downward header dropped agonisingly wide.

The penalty save from Heaton invigorated the Clarets, who were unfortunate not to go three ahead when Treacy’s low cross found Ings, whose close-range shot was superbly kept by Grant from pointblank range.  

However, from the following corner, Burnley had their third of the afternoon. Treacy’s delivery from the right picked out Shackell at the far post, who sent a beautifully controlled volley into the bottom corner to ensure the victory. 

Derby County: Grant (GK), Freeman (Smith 46’), Keogh, Buxton, Forsyth, Coutts (Davies 67’), Bryson, Hughes, Ward, Martin, Russell (Sammmon 75’).

Subs Not Used: Legzdins (GK), Jacobs, Eustace, Bennett.

Burnley: Heaton (GK), Trippier, Mee, Shackell, Duff, Treacy, Jones (Edgar 80'), Marney (Stanislas 75'), Arfield, Ings, Vokes.

Subs Not Used: Cisak (GK), Long, Lafferty, Noble, Stock.

Attendance: 23,548 (898 Visiting Supporters).


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.