Skip to main content

Latest Match Report

14:00 7th December 2013
By  James Nelson

Derby County 5-1 Blackpool

A Chris Martin inspired second-half performance helped Derby County to a 5-1 win over Blackpool and the side's fifth consecutive League victory for the first time since 2007.

Man of the match Martin notched his first-ever Football League hat-trick inside 22 second-half minutes, securing the Rams’ first win at the iPro Stadium in the process.

Defender Richard Keogh and Craig Bryson also got on the score sheet in what was a five-star performance by the Rams. 

Derby, unchanged from Wednesday’s win over Middlesbrough, started the brighter with Simon Dawkins nearly sending Chris Martin clean through on goal in the opening minute. 

The mood changed inside the iPro Stadium two minutes later though, with Blackpool taking the lead after Tom Ince’s free-kick found the head of Isaiah Osbourne, whose flicked header flew into the top left-hand corner of Lee Grant’s net, leaving the ‘keeper with no chance. 

But the Rams responded well and almost equalised four minutes later when Dawkins’ deflected drive from 25-yards looped goalwards, but the alert Blackpool goalkeeper Matt Gilks was equal to it.

In the ninth minute, England Under-21 international Will Hughes hit his 20-yard free-kick narrowly wide from the edge of the area, after Martin was brought down, whilst the Rams were denied again minutes later by a great piece of defending from Blackpool’s make-shift centre back, Jack Robinson. 

Despite trailing, it was Derby who had control of the game, but the Rams found it difficult to break through a stubborn Blackpool defence. This was typified in the 18th minute when a perfect cross by Andre Wisdom found the head of Dawkins, but the Tottenham Hotspur loanee was once again denied by on-loan Liverpool defender, Robinson.

Moments later, exquisite build-up play on the left-hand side by the Rams resulted in Bryson finding Jamie Ward at the back post, but his header was deflected for corner, as Derby continued to up the ante. 

Blackpool were finding it hard to stamp any authority on the match, something which forced ex-Ram Steven Davies to take the game into his own hands, quite literally, as the striker was adjudged to have deliberately handled the ball, thinking it had gone out for a throw-in.

Martin was a major thorn in the side of Blackpool, and he was in the thick of the action again, finding Dawkins with an inch-perfect pass, but the winger’s subsequent strike was blocked by Gilks.

Derby applied even more pressure on a Blackpool defence that did not contain one recognised centre-half, but their luck seemed to be non-existent when in the 34th minute, Bryson somehow cleared the bar from four yards out from a pull back by Wisdom.

However, the second half could not have started any better for Derby, as Martin was clipped in the penalty area on 47 minutes. The former Norwich City forward stepped up to convert the resulting spot-kick, sending goalkeeper Gilks the wrong way in the process. 

And the second-half turnaround was complete on 53 minutes as Martin made it 2-1 after a poor back pass by Neal Bishop. The former Notts County midfielder headed it straight to the feet of Dawkins, who found his shot smothered by Gilks, prior to Martin rifling in the rebound.

An instinctive finish by Bryson made it three on 57 minutes. A mazy run by the impressive Dawkins set up Wisdom, who pulled the ball back to the on-rushing Bryson and the Scotsman was well placed to net his eighth of the campaign. 

Blackpool’s only notable effort in the second period arrived in the 60th minute when Davies drilled a low free-kick towards the bottom corner, which forced Grant into a fine reflex save.

However, just eight minutes after Davies’ set-piece, Martin completed his hat-trick. Dawkins was fouled in the area by Bishop, whose disappointing afternoon was compounded with a red card. Martin once again took responsibility, and once again sent Gilks the wrong way as he extended the Rams’ lead and completed his hat-trick. 

With the result looking secure, McClaren took the chance to give Manchester United loanee Michael Keane his Rams’ debut, as the England Under-21 defender replaced Jake Buxton.

Blackpool’s day got even worse in the 86 minute when they were reduced to nine men. Substitute Angel Martinez was sent off for a second booking, after bringing down Keogh’s marauding run - the Spaniard had only been on the pitch for 20 minutes.

And it was Keogh who completed the rout in the first minute of added time, making it 5-1 with a close range strike after Keane’s header was initially blocked by Gilks.

Derby County: Grant (GK), Wisdom, Keogh, Buxton (Keane 73’), Forsyth, Eustace (Hendrick 81’), Bryson, Hughes, Ward (Russell 45’), Dawkins, Martin.

Subs not used: Legzdins (GK), Bennett, Sammon, Cisse. 

Blackpool: Gilks (GK), Basham, Blackett, Bishop, Robinson, Ince, Davies, Gosling, Dobbie (Delfouneso 58), Ferguson (Martinez 67’), Osbourne.

Subs not used: Warner (GK), Grant, Chopra, Eccleston, Barkhuizen.

Attendance: 24,063 (348 visiting supporters).


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.