Chris Martin opened his account for the season as Derby County recovered from a goal down to draw 1-1 with Charlton Athletic.

Chris Martin opened his account for the season as Derby County recovered from a goal down to draw 1-1 with Charlton Athletic.

The 26-year-old got Paul Clement’s side back on track after former Celtic forward Tony Watt’s deflected strike opened the scoring.

Despite the draw, Derby delivered a performance full of promise and endeavour that on another day would have seen the hosts collect all three points.

Charged by Paul Clement to deliver an improvement on their display in midweek, Derby set about in an industrious manner, zipping the ball across the iPro Stadium surface in attempt to pull a rigged Charlton defence across the park.

Aside from Johann Berg Gudmundsson’s early tame effort, the Rams held total control in the opening 45 minutes, but could not apply the finishing touch when we placed.

Chris Martin miscued his lines on 21 minutes after Tom Ince weaved his way in from the right, before George Thorne blazed over from range minutes later.

Clement, though, was indebted to Scott Carson that his side went in level at the break as the ‘keeper rushed out to prevent Cristian Ceballos after he had nipped past Chris Baird to latch on to a loose ball.

At the other end, Jeff Hendrick sent a placed left foot effort narrowly wide of Nick Pope’s far corner.

Into the start of the second 45 minutes, Derby had the chance to go in front with two chances within seconds of each other.

The first came from Hendrick, who saw a goalbound effort cannon off a defender, before Thorne’s left drive take a deflection, flat footing Pope, but it dropped the wrong side of the post.

A minute later, misfortune struck and Clement’s side found themselves having to fight back.

Again a deflection was involved and again it favoured the hosts as Tony Watt let fly from range but after coming off a Derby challenger, the ball looped over the stranded Carson and into the bottom corner.

The Rams continued on the front foot as Martin sent a header into the arms of Pope and Hendrick saw another effort cleared off the line after beating the Addicks’ ‘keeper to a loose ball.

On the break, Gudmundsson saw a deflected effort drop narrowly wide, but Derby continued to take the contest to Guy Luzon’s side.

Johnny Russell, under pressure, poked another opportunity wide and Jamie Hanson, making his first start to the season, also saw a drive from the edge of the area blocked.

After Simon Makienok saw a drive easily saved by Carson, Derby got their rewards for their persistence.

Following a quick free kick, Hanson threaded a pass for Martin, who switched the ball from right to left to drill a left shot beyond Pope and into the far corner – his first goal at the iPro Stadium since netting the winner against Southport in the FA Cup in January.

Makienok looked for an instant reply, but after Makienok sent a header over Carson’s crossbar, the visitors had Pope to thank for keeping them on level terms.

From range, Thorne drove an effort towards goal that has Pope scrambling across goal to save, before the ‘keeper blocked Ince’s free kick.

With five minutes remaining, Ince sent another set piece over the bar after the impressive Hanson was hauled down and Martin was again denied by Pope as the Rams were forced to settle for a point.

Derby County: Carson, Baird (C), Keogh, Shackell, Forsyth; Thorne, Hendrick, Hanson (Christie, 87); Russell (Weimann, 67), Ince, Martin

Substitutes not used: Grant, Dawkins, Bent, Shotton, Warnock

Charlton Athletic: Pope, Kashi, Bauer, Berg Gudmundsson (Hadji Ba, 90), Cousins, Makienok (Jackson, 88), Ceballos (Bergdich, 61), Diarra, Solly (C), Fox, Watt

Substitutes: Ghoochannehad, Mitov (GK), Sarr, Ahearne-Grant

Attendance: 29,045 (818 Charlton supporters)


Tweets by @ dcfcofficial