Our Academy vision is to continue to provide talented, well balanced young professional footballers for Derby County's first-team squad and become recognised as the ‘Academy of Choice’ for young players within our local area and beyond.
Our aim is to become a perennial Category One Academy, enabling us to compete at the elite level of youth football both at home and abroad.
We will continue to invest in our training facilities and new technologies to enhance our reputation and improve performance in order to develop the players of the future. We will actively seek to recruit and retain the best young players within our local region and beyond and considerable financial investment has been pledged to ensure this is achieved.
It is our owner’s stated intention to be in a position that 50% of Derby County’s first team squad will be made up of Academy graduates within five years.
Our mission is to identify, develop and support talented young footballers in order for them to achieve their maximum potential in a positive, supportive and professional learning environment.
We will embrace a competitive culture that encourages team work and fun, whilst positively impacting on our young players.
The philosophy of the Derby County Academy is to focus on a purposeful passing style of football. This means that we will recruit with such intention and equip our players with the technical and tactical skills that allow our teams to control and influence the game when in or out of possession. We will create an environment where our players will have the athletic ability and mental strength to regain possession of the ball and consequently regain control of the game.
Our Academy values, behaviours and coaching methods will underpin this philosophy. We will recruit and develop both the players and staff with similar beliefs and work ethics to create an outstanding team spirit both on and of the pitch. We want to play attack-minded football through a positive, purposeful and forward-thinking incisive passing game, exploiting the space and progressing through the pitch when possible to enter the final third in order to create goal-scoring opportunities. Out of possession, press from the front and play with organisation, discipline and a will to defend.
The Academy technical board consists of members who are able to implement and oversee both the first team and the Academy’s playing philosophy. This will help to ensure that both parties are working towards achieving the same goals through the same methods.
It has been agreed that the Under 21 Squad will look to replicate both the training and match preparation methodology of the first team, in order to prepare the development squad players for when first team opportunities arise. The Under 18 age group and below are given the opportunity to develop all aspects of their game, in order to give them a fully rounded football education.
1. To ensure that the individual needs of young footballers are at the heart of all our activities.
2. To set high football, academic and social standards and act as a positive role models in all our behaviours
3. To provide a supportive disciplined environment where players and staff take pride in themselves and their surroundings
4. To develop an outstanding network of talent identification that ensures that all players, parents and partners are treated with honesty, integrity and respect
5. To develop an outstanding learning programme that will maximise players’ potential and produce outstanding young footballers
6. To effectively communicate the aims and objectives of the academy with all stakeholders
7. To promote and support positive outcomes related to health, education and overall development
8. To recognise and celebrate players’ success and recognise and acknowledge sound attitudes and behaviours
9. To develop positive and honest relationships with all stakeholders including players, parents, feeder organisations and all external partners
10. To provide all our young players with a 360 degree experience, to ensure that they are equipped for alternative career pathways
Academy Director: Darren Wassall
Head of Academy Operations: John Barton
Academy Secretary: Lindsey Noon
Senior Professional Development Phase Coach: Pat Lyons
Lead Professional Development Phase Coach: Justin Walker
Professional Development Phase Coach: Rory Delap
Lead Youth Development Phase Coach: Adam Thorley
Youth Development Phase Coach (U16 Coach): Danny Holmes
Lead Foundation Phase Coach: Richard Astle
Foundation Phase Coach: Josh Butler
Senior Goalkeeping Coach: Jason Pearcey
Goalkeeping Coach: Richard Taylor
Goalkeeping Coach: Ross Atkins