arrow_downward Catch UP On Social
arrow_downward Open Social
Back to Results

Derby County fell to two second-half goals by Jarrod Bowen in a 2-0 defeat against Hull City at the KCOM Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

The Rams did find back of the net at the start of the second half when Tom Lawrence got on the end of a cross by Jayden Bogle, however the referee disallowed the goal for handball.

Bowen then stunned Derby with two goals inside six minutes late on. His first came when he powered in a header at the far post from Kamil Grosicki’s cross with 16 minutes left, while the second was a low strike from inside the box ten minutes from time which found the net via a deflection off of Curtis Davies.

Derby youngster Morgan Whittaker made his Sky Bet Championship debut for the Rams, coming off the bench in the second half to replace Kieran Dowell who made his first start for Phillip Cocu’s side since to loss at Brentford in August.

The Rams looked to build on the momentum from the last-minute victory over Wigan Athletic in midweek and were moving the ball with more urgency than the previous games since the latest international break.

Krystian Bielik sent an early shot from range sailing over the crossbar, but it was the home side that forced the first save of the afternoon.

After Hull intercepted a ball by Duane Holmes as he looked to square to Chris Martin in the box, the Tigers went straight down the other end and Kelle Roos had to dive to palm away a strong effort by Bowen from just inside the area before Matt Clarke cleared the danger.

Five minutes later, Hull’s dangerman, Bowen was a threat again and bent a shot from range bent over the top right corner.

Despite Hull having the better chances in the opening 30 minutes, Derby looked the better side on the ball and piled on the pressure for the remainder of the half.

After good build-up again, Graeme Shinnie’s low shot from outside the area was deflected and trickled towards the goal for an easy save for George Long. Just a minute later, a superb ball by Kieran Dowell was met by Lawrence who ran in behind the line, but his first-time effort was met by Long.

In the moments before half-time came the Rams’ best opportunity. Tom Lawrence flung a free-kick into the area which Long fumbled and sent towards Curtis Davies. The captain’s shot was deflected by Callum Elder towards the far post but Martin was unable to turn it in.

The Rams found the back of the net ten minutes after the restart when Bogle floated a perfect cross into the area for Lawrence to divert into the net. However, referee Simon Hooper disallowed the goal, ruling a handball.

The Tigers took the lead in the 74th minute through their top scorer Bowen. Moments after coming off the bench, Tom Eaves’ shot was blocked back into Hull’s possession. It was sent out to Kamil Grosicki in the left of the box who whipped a cross to Bowen at the far post to head in.

Just six minutes later, the lead was doubled. Bowen struck from inside the area and his effort was turned in by Davies as the centre-back attempted to clear the ball. He was again assisted by Grosicki after a fast break.

The Rams will have a week to prepare for their next Sky Bet Championship meeting when they face Middlesbrough at Pride Park Stadium next Saturday.

Hull City: Long; Lichaj (C), Burke, de Wijs, Elder; Bowler (Eaves, 72), Lopes; Grosicki (Honeyman, 90), Irvine, Toral (Stewart, 77); Bowen

Unused Subs: Ingram, Tafazolli, Kingsley, Pennington

Derby County: Roos; Bogle, Davies (C), Clarke, Lowe; Shinnie (Waghorn, 79), Bielik; Holmes, Dowell (Whittaker, 68), Lawrence; Martin (Marriott, 79)

Unused Subs: Hamer, Wisdom, Bird, Malone

Match Preview

Team Sheet

Match Stats

Action Areas

Player Stats