After months of preparation, Derby County Community Trust was this week delighted to officially open their ‘The Dug Out’ allotment.
Based at Little Chester Allotments, The Dug Out will form part of the Community Trust’s health project and will give participants of all ages the opportunity to enjoy the benefits of gardening and socialisation.
The allotment will also be working with Community Trust partners Making Space, to support those living with dementia - giving them the opportunity to garden and grow produce will be used across the community.
The plot includes a number of vegetable plant beds, a greenhouse and paved seating area for participants to relax and enjoy a drink, slice of cake and a chat with others.
Derby County Community Trust’s Health Team Leader, Luke Wilkinson, said: “It’s a moment I never thought would happen! We got the plot in January, there’s been days when you think it won’t take shape - but to see so many participants down here enjoying the space and wanting to get involved, makes all the groundwork worthwhile.
“This will have something for everyone, yes it will be for our health and wellbeing programme with older participants, and ‘Making Space’ for those living with Dementia – but we’ll be getting local schools involved and much more.
“The aim is that 70% of what’s grown on the allotment will go back into the community, with the other 30% being given to participants to take part in little cooking challenges and more.
“This will be something completely different and will be here for a long time to come – you don’t need to have any gardening experience, it’s just a really good way to socialise, meet new people and pick up a few new skills.”
Find out more about Derby County Community Trust’s projects by logging on to derbycountycommunitytrust.com.