arrow_downward Catch UP On Social
arrow_downward Open Social
Back to Results

Derby County progressed to the Emirates FA Cup Fourth Round after a 1-0 victory over Premier League Crystal Palace at Selhurst Park with Chris Martin applying a fine finish for the only goal of the game.

The Rams' striker was on the end of a brilliant cross by Jayden Bogle from the right-hand side in the first half, with the pair being two of nine changes in Phillip Cocu’s side from the 2-1 Sky Bet Championship victory over Barnsley on Thursday night.

Tom Huddlestone returned to action after a lengthy spell out with a hamsting injury and the midfielder was on the receiving end of a headbutt from Luka Milivojevic, who was shown a red card midway through the second half to reduce the hosts to ten men.

Despite late pressure, Derby held strong to progress to the next round with a deserved win.

Youngsters Louie Sibley and Morgan Whittaker also started for the Rams while Wayne Rooney and Curtis Davies were the only two players to be named in the starting line-up again following the Barnsley meeting.

The Premier League side were first to get a look in at the goal after just three minutes, only to be denied by a great save by Kelle Roos. Palace youngster Brandon Pierrick burst into the area before switching to his left foot to unleash a low shot, but the Rams' shot-stopper met it with his foot before safely grabbing the ball.

The Eagles failed to create many clear-cut chances from there, while the Rams built comfortably into the game and found themselves in great positions, but just not quite finding final chance. Young midfielder Sibley looked bright, curling an effort just over the crossbar after 18 minutes before making two galloping runs down the middle of the pitch, while Huddlestone and Rooney supplying some brilliant balls forwards.

The good build up accumulated in a fine finish to give the Rams the lead in the 32nd minute. Bogle received the ball down the right of the area and beat his marker, Jairo Riedewald, to send a pinpoint cross towards Martin at the back post. The striker took his chance well with the outside of his foot to nestle the effort into the far bottom corner.

The hosts piled on the pressure following the break looking for the equaliser. After five minutes, a cross was half-cleared to James McCarthy who took aim, and his deflected effort was palmed away by Roos.

After the Rams’ defence rode out the early pressure for the opening ten minutes of the half, Derby went back on the attack and came close to doubling their lead with back-to-back chances. Bogle and Martin looked to combine again with the full-back pinging a long ball across to the forward infront of goal, but his header was comfortably saved.

Just moments later, it was Bogle looking to turn scorer when he was on the end of a cross by Tom Lawrence. The defender was at the back post in a perfect position, but his header hit the ground and bounced just wide of the far post.

The Eagles were reduced to ten men midway through the second half after referee Michael Oliver overturned a yellow card and produced a red card for Milivojevic after a lengthy VAR review. After Huddlestone dispossessed the captain on the halfway line, he kicked out at the Rams midfielder while he was down then headbutted Huddlestone.

The Rams were able to withstand the late pressure from the Eagles, although they did go close to a second when substitute Martyn Waghorn hit the post with a fine shot from inside the box, and moved on to the next round of the FA Cup following an impressive and controlled display.

Crystal Palace: Hennessey; Kelly, Cahill, Milivojevic (C), Riedewald (Woods, 76); Pierrick, McCarthy, Kouyate, Meyer (McArthur, 38); Ayew, Wickham

Unused Subs: Henderson, Tomkins, Kirby, McGregor, Daly

Derby County: Roos; Bogle, Davies, Forsyth, Malone; Rooney, Huddlestone Knight (Bird, 75); Whittaker (Holmes, 72), Sibley (Waghorn, 90), Lawrence; Martin

Unused Subs: Ravas, Wisdom, Jozefzoon

Match Preview

Team Sheet

Match Stats

Action Areas

Player Stats