arrow_downward Catch UP On Social
arrow_downward Open Social
Back to Results

Derby County were held to a frustrating 0-0 draw by Cambridge United in Sky Bet League One on Saturday afternoon.

The Rams had a number of chances to win it on the day, with the best of them falling to Martyn Waghorn in the second half, but it wasn't to be and Paul Warne's side had to settle for a point.

Key Moments

Derby had a golden opportunity to take the lead within the first minute when a slip from a Cambridge defender allowed winger Nathaniel Mendez-Laing to race towards goal from the halfway line.

The Rams' number 11 found Tom Barkhuizen to his left but his pass forced his team-mate wide and it resulted in Barkhuizen having to get a first-time shot away which was well saved by Will Mannion in the visiting goal.

Barkhuizen in particular started strongly down the left and on a couple occasions whipped delicious balls into the box that were inches away from being converted home by onrushing Rams players.

Midfielder Tyrese Fornah went close when he bent an effort just wide of the post from the edge of the area as Warne's men continued to search for a breakthrough and Barkhuizen had a low shot from Ryan Nyambe's cut-back blocked.

The game was stopped in the 31st minute for a minute's applause as a tribute to goalkeeper Josh Vickers' late wife Laura, who passed away last week, and was impeccably observed by all four sides of the ground and both sets of players.

With five minutes of additional time signalled the Rams nearly snatched the lead just prior to the break. A corner wasn't dealt with by the U's defence and Fornah swivelled on the six-yard box to hook an effort towards goal but it hit the post and rebounded to safety.

Chances were few and far between in the early stages of the second-half with the Rams struggling to break down a resolute Cambridge defence.

Striker James Collins was agonisingly close to breaking the deadlock when his header from a Mendez-Laing cross from the right wing deflected off of a Cambridge defender and somehow bounced the wrong side of the post for a corner.

Waghorn then spurned a brilliant opportunity just a minute later. Mendez-Laing again delivered a pinpoint ball which Waghorn met but his header bounced down onto the ground and over the bar from 10-yards out.

It took until the 74th minute for the visitors to muster their first shot on target and it nearly brought with it the opener. Paul Digby took aim from long-range and Rams goalkeeper Joe Wildsmith had to be at full-stretch to palm his effort away from goal.

Centre-back Curtis Nelson had a header deflected inches wide as the match entered the final five minutes but that was as good as it got in the latter stages.

The Rams claimed a third clean-sheet in a row but had to settle for just a point on home soil.

The Teams

Derby County: Wildsmith (GK), Forsyth (C) (88' Wilson), Cashin, Barkhuizen (69' Sibley), Collins, Waghorn (69' Washington), Mendez-Laing, Smith (88' Bird), Fornah, Nyambe, Nelson.

Substitutes not used: Vickers (GK), Bradley, Robinson.

Cambridge United: Mannion (GK), Bennett, Andrew, Digby, Morrison (C), Bennett (46' Okedina), Brophy, Thomas, Okenabirhie (70' Ahadme), Lankester (70' May), Kachunga (20' Gordon).

Substitutes not used: Stevens (GK), Ibsen-Rossi, Cousins.


26,122 (1,117 Cambridge United supporters)

What's Up Next?

The Rams are back in Sky Bet League One action on Tuesday evening when they travel to Blackpool (7:45pm kick-off).

Match Preview

Team Sheet

Match Stats

Action Areas

Player Stats