Derby County were held to a goalless draw at Pride Park when they hosted Stoke City in their final game before the last international break.

In their third home game in eight days, the Rams had a handful of chances with Duane Holmes calling Jack Butland into action twice as well as Tom Huddlestone.

Young winger Jayden Mitchell-Lawson made his senior debut for the Rams, winning a free-kick in the final minute when he was hauled down on the edge of the box which Harry Wilson curled to strike to woodwork.

James McClean came closest for the Potters when he hit the post with his header on the end a cross.

Tom Lawrence was back in the starting XI for Frank Lampard’s side for the first time since sustaining a foot injury against Ipswich Town in February to replace Mason Bennett who picked up an injury against Sheffield Wednesday last weekend.

The Rams were unlucky not to have the lead at the break following 11 shots with three on target.

Huddlestone struck first on seven minutes, calling Jack Butland into action. Lawrence drove into the box and his shot was deflected out to Huddlestone outside of the area who struck sweetly on the volley only to be denied by the England international stopper.

Inside 20 minutes, Derby had another chance to take the lead when a brilliant ball through from Martyn Waghorn found Holmes who drove forward, but his close-range effort was batted away by Butland.

The Potters’ keeper then provided a long ball down to former Ram, Tom Ince, who was held off well by Jayden Bogle. He managed to turn but his effort was wide.

Derby were awarded a free-kick on 26 minutes from the right of the area, which Wilson whipped in, it was half-cleared to Holmes who took a touch before rifling a shot towards the top right corner, but a stunning save by Butland again denied the Rams.

Following his goal last time out against Sheffield Wednesday, Bradley Johnson looked to add another just more than ten minutes into the second-half. After good build-up play, Huddlestone squared to his fellow midfielder outside the area who dragged a low shot inches wide.

With just less than 15 minutes left, Stoke struck the woodwork for their closest chance. A cross into the box was met by McClean, but he directed his header onto the post.

In the final minute, Mitchell-Lawson made a break and was hauled down right on the edge of the box by Ryan Shawcross. Wilson stood behind the ball and curled his free-kick effort onto the crossbar.

The Rams had to settle for a draw heading into a two and a half week break from Sky Bet Championship action with the international break.

Derby County: Roos; Bogle, Keogh (C), Tomori, Malone; Huddlestone, Johnson; Lawrence (Mitchell-Lawson, 82), Holmes, Wilson; Waghorn (Marriott, 71)

Unused Subs: Ravas, Wisdom, Cole, Nugent, Bird

Stoke City: Butland; Edwards, Shawcross (C), Batt, Martins Indi; Allen, Woods (Fletcher, 84), Adam (Williams, 61); Ince, Afobe (Diouf, 45), McClean

Unused subs: Federici, Bauer, Krkic, Verlinden