Derby County Under-23s earned a valuable point on the road in an entertaining 3-3 draw against Liverpool at their Academy Stadium.

Elijah Dixon-Bonner gave the Reds the lead in the first half, before Morgan Whittaker had a penalty saved.

The Rams' equaliser came soon after through captain Max Bird and then took the lead as Whittaker found the corner just before the hour mark to take the lead for the first time.

Liverpool managed to equalise minutes later through an own goal from Jordan Brown and they thought they had won the game when Curtis Jones scored with only 10 minutes remaining.

However, the Rams fought back and Jahmal Hector-Ingram scored from the penalty spot after Josh Shonibare was fouled to ensure the points were shared, a result which sees Derby extend their unbeaten run to four games in Premier League 2 Division 1.

The game also saw first-team duo Andre Wisdom and Craig Forsyth get match minutes after lengthy spells out of action with knee injuries.

Wisdom has been out of action since the closing months of last season, last appearing at the start of March, while Forsyth has been working his way back to fitness after suffering an anterior cruciate ligament injury last November.

Both players got match minutes under their belts as they continue to edge towards returning to the first-team fold.

Liverpool had the better of the opening exchanges, but they failed to test Henrich Ravas in the Rams goal as Rhian Brewster and Dixon-Bonner both could not get their efforts on target.

Derby continues to absorb pressure and Ravas denied Curtis Jones, who managed to break free in the box, on 12 minutes with his first save of the game.

Liverpool's pressure paid soon after as they took the lead. Dixon-Bonner latched on to a through ball and converted to give the Reds the lead.

However, the Rams reacted positively and soon stamped their authority on the game, driven by the influencial Louie Sibley in midfield.

He was denied seconds after the restart before he was fouled in the penalty area. Whittaker stepped up but saw his penalty saved by the Liverpool goalkeeper.

That did not deter Derby and they were back on level terms just before the half hour mark.

A strong run from Sibley saw him advance into the box before pulling the ball back for Bird to fire into the corner, with the assistance of the crossbar.

Both sides had further chances before the break to take the lead. Ravas denied Jones with a great save, whilst Jayden Mitchell-Lawson dragged a shot wide five minutes before the interval.

Sibley almost found the top corner from 25 yards but his effort was slightly high as the score was level at 1-1 the break.

The hosts almost regained their lead two minutes after half-time. A corner was partially cleared by the Rams to Ki-Jana Hoever on the edge of the box but the defender struck the bar from 18 yards.

Soon after, it was the Rams who could have taken the lead through a superb counter attacking move.

Whittaker’s long ball found an onrushing Mitchell-Lawson. The winter squared for Sibley who took a touch and shot but the Liverpool goalkeeper saved well.

Derby did manage to take the lead for the first time just before the hour mark. The ball found Whittaker on the edge of the box and despite the goalkeepers efforts, he found the corner to put the Rams ahead.

That lead, however, didn’t last long as the unfortunate Brown diverted a cross into his own goal to make it 2-2.

Liverpool applied the pressure with a number of corners but the Rams defended well to keep out their opponents, despite Herbie Kane hitting the post on 74 minutes.

The Reds did, however, find what they thought would be winning goal with 10 minutes of the game remaining.

Harvey Elliott found space and shot but Ravas made the save, however, Jones netted the rebound to put Liverpool ahead late in the game.

The Rams showed their never say die attitude once more and forced another equaliser with only five minutes remaining.

Josh Shonibare was fouled in the penalty area and Hector-Ingram sent the goalkeeper the wrong way from the penalty spot to make it 3-3 and round off the scoring.

The Rams pushed hard for a winner, but they had to settle for a point in what was an entertaining encounter.

Liverpool U23s: Winterbottom, Williams, Gallacher, Hoever, Van den Berg, Chirivella, Elliott, Dixon-Bonner, Brewster, Kane, Jones.

Substitutes: Atherton, Boyes, Clayton, Larouci, Longstaff.

Derby County U23s: Ravas, Wisdom, Forsyth, Bird, Minkley, Brown, Whittaker, Dixon, Hector-Ingram, Sibley, Michell-Lawson.

Substitutes: Barnes, McDonald, Babos, Cresswell, Shonibare.