Derby County booked their place in the Fourth Round of the FA Youth Cup as they beat Everton 1-0 at Pride Park Stadium.

Irish defender Eiran Cashin scored the only goal of the game as he bundled the ball home at the back post to ensure the Young Rams were in the hat for the Fourth Round draw.

Derby controlled large periods of the game and could have won by a larger margin, however, they remained professional and saw the game out well to ensure they progressed.

It was almost a disastrous start to the game for the Young Rams as Kornell McDonald conceded possession in his own penalty area. Mackenzie Hunt took advantage but his close-range effort was saved by Bradley Foster-Theniger.

It turned out to be a blessing for the Rams who managed to take the lead early in the game through central defender Cashin.

Tyree Wilson’s corner into the box managed to deceive both sets of players, but the ball ricocheted off Cashin and into the back of the net to give the Rams a dream start.

The Rams were taking the game to the visitors with waves of attacks. Festy Ebosele’s pace caused huge problems for the Toffees defence, whilst the trickery of Wilson was also a cause for concern for the visitors.

Derby almost doubled their lead on the half hour mark as Brown picked out the influential Louie Sibley in the penalty area. He deliberately delayed his effort, trying to commit the goalkeeper, however, Jack MacIntyre in the Everton goal, stood tall to deny the forward.

A minute later, the Rams were fortunate not to concede an equaliser. Everton forward Sean McAllister was fed the ball, took a touch and fired past Foster-Theniger. His effort rebounded against the post with the loose ball falling to Lewis Dobbins, however, Foster-Theniger flew out of nowhere to deny Everton a leveller.

The Rams went into the break ahead and immediately set about extending their advantage. Sibley forced a good save from MacIntyre, whilst from the resulting ball back in, Brown headed inches wide.

The game threatened to boil over at one point as Ebosele was twice taken down cynically which resulted in yellow cards for Everton’s Daniel Lowey and McAllister, whilst Cashin was booked for a dangerous tackle five minutes later.

Everton did start to threaten the Rams’ defensive rearguard with a number of long-range efforts, however, on two occasions, Foster-Theniger saved well.

Derby needed a second goal to ease the pressure in the final 10 minutes of the game but they could not manage to break down a stubborn Everton defence.

The Toffees almost found the equaliser in the final minute of the game but thankfully Ryan Astley’s header fell the wrong side of the post as the Rams secured their passage through to Round Four.

Derby County: Foster-Theniger, Bardell, Charles, Thompson, McDonald, Cashin, Ebosele, Wilson, Stretton, Sibley (Aghatise 77’), Brown.

Subs not used: Halwax, Matthews, Cybulski, Rutt.

Everton: MacIntyre, Higgins (Lowey 46’), Hosie, Hagan, Astley, Hughes, Quirk, Onyango, Dobbin, McAllister (Cannon 77’), Hunt (Price 83’).

Subs not used: Barrett, Thompson.