Derby County's seven-match unbeaten run came to an end at the hands of Shrewsbury Town in Sky Bet League One on Saturday afternoon.

A second half own goal from midfielder Conor Hourihane, diverting a right-wing cross into his own net, was enough to secure a 1-0 win for the home side and ensure the Rams headed back to Derbyshire with nothing to show for their efforts.

Key Moments

Shrewsbury defender Carl Winchester forced the first save of the game when his well struck effort from outside the area had to be tipped around the post by Rams goalkeeper Joe Wildsmith.

Derby's first move forward very nearly brought with it the opener but for an outstanding save from Marko Marosi. Neat interplay down the right between Louie Sibley and Max Bird saw the former stand a great cross up which defender Curtis Nelson met but he was denied by a huge hand down low from the Shrews' shot-stopper.

Marosi then denied Tom Barkhuizen whose first-time effort was prodded towards goal following a Bird cross as Derby searched for an opener in the early stages.

Barkhuizen was threatening down the left and forced Marosi into another save with a well struck effort from the edge of the box but again the Shrews' goalkeeper got down well to deny him.

Tom Bayliss forced Wildsmith into a routine save from distance as the home side fired a warning side to the Rams that they had threats of their own.

A last-ditch tackle from Eiran Cashin denied Shrewsbury from taking the lead towards the end of the first half when he slid in to take it off the toes of Bayliss from six-yards out.

The hosts had a golden opportunity to go into the half-time interval in front when Nelson was adjudged to have fouled Max Mata in the area when bursting into the area. Bayliss stepped up to take the penalty but blazed the spot-kick well over the crossbar.

Chances carried on coming for both sides after the restart and Wildsmith had to be at his very best to deny the hosts an opener early doors. Dan Udoh was afforded too much time in the area and he spun and fired towards goal but was denied by a fantastic save.

Shrewsbury took the lead in the 56th minute. Taylor Perry stood up a cross from the right and Bayliss threw himself at the ball and a combination of the former Coventry City midfielder and substitute Hourihane saw the ball find the top corner beyond the reach of Wildsmith.

Paul Warne responded by introducing a triple change and it nearly paid off immediately when Conor Washington and Nathaniel Mendez-Laing combined well to set-up Sibley whose effort was well saved by Marosi.

Derby were inches away from an equaliser when Shrews captain Chey Dunkley headed against his own crossbar following a Sibley cross and the ball was eventually cleared.

Up the other end and the Rams were afforded a let off when Perry nearly doubled the home side's advantage. Mata did well down the left and picked out Perry at the back-post. The Shrews' winger faked a shot before firing inches wide with his left foot.

It was last chance saloon for Derby as the game entered six minutes of additional time and the equaliser nearly came but for another huge save from Marosi. Substitute Waghorn turned well in the box and fired towards goal but was denied at point-blank range from the Shrewsbury goalkeeper as they held on to claim all three points.

The Teams

Shrewsbury Town: Marosi (GK), Sraha, Winchester, Udoh, Perry. Bayliss (90' Bennett), Dunkley (C), Fleming (79' Benning), Mata (79' Bowman), Flanagan, Kenneh.

Substitutes not used: Burgoyne (GK), Anderson, Sobowale, Pierre.

Derby County: Wildsmith (GK), Forsyth (C) (90' Bradley), Cashin, Barkhuizen (64' Mendez-Laing), Bird, Collins (64' Waghorn), Smith (64' Washington), Sibley, Fornah (46' Hourihane), Nyambe, Nelson.

Substitutes not used: Vickers (GK), Wilson.


8,088 (1,654 Derby County supporters)

What's Next Up?

It's a quick turnaround for the Rams who return to action on Tuesday evening when they welcome Exeter City to Pride Park (7:45pm kick-off).