Derby County Under-21s were knocked out of the Derbyshire Senior Cup at the quarter-final stage, losing to Buxton on penalties at the Silverlands Stadium on Tuesday night.

The match had finished 1-1 following Tony Weston's opener in the first minute, before the home side hit back through Eoin McKeown.

Buxton goalkeeper Joe Young was the hero of the shootout and helped the Bucks set up a semi-final tie with local rivals Matlock Town.

The young Rams raced into the lead before much of the crowd at the Silverlands Stadium had even had time to take their seats, with Weston fastening onto a ball in behind to slot home past goalkeeper Young inside a minute.

The home side responded well and McKeown fired over from inside the box after some sloppy play at the back.

Ryan Qualter received the ball after some neat play around the Derby box, and he would be left disappointed that he hadn't levelled the scores on 13 minutes when he dragged his effort wide of the target.

He had another sighter shortly afterwards, rising highest to meet Jak McCourt's corner from the right but he was unable to keep his header down.

The hosts got the goal their pressure deserved with 21 minutes played. Adam Livingstone's low cross tempted Jack Thompson to come out and claim, but McKeown got in front of him to prod home and restore parity.

Buxton's momentum continued after the equaliser, but they were unable to really test Thompson and Derby began to get more of a foothold in the game before the referee called time on the first half.

Chances were at a premium following the break, with the next opening of note coming on 65 minutes.

Buxton substitute Jake Wright got in behind the defence before squaring for McKeown, whose touch took him a little wider of goal than he might have wanted. He still would have fancied himself to slot past Thompson when the keeper came out to meet him, but a tremendous save from the young stopper kept the scores level.

That chance seemed to spark the game back into life and, up the other end, Lennon Wheeldon struck the crossbar after showing neat feet to take the ball into the area and around goalkeeper Young.

The sides kept probing but were cancelling each other out as the clock ticked towards penalties - and it would indeed be spot-kicks that decided the winner of the tie.

Goalkeeper Young proved to be the difference in the shootout, making saves from Tyrese Fornah and substitute Niall McAndrew, while Buxton were flawless with their penalties.

Jake Buxton's side are back in action on Monday 12th February, when they travel to West Bromwich Albion in Premier League 2 (kick-off 6pm).

Buxton: Young, Livingstone, McCourt (C), De Girolamo (Kirby 60'), Mottley-Henry, Hull, McKeown, Brogan (Minihan 60'), Ackroyd (Weston 75'), Qualter (Wright 60'), Hunt.

Subs not used: Shiels.

Derby County Under-21s: Thompson, Perry (Allen 46'), Bardell (Hawkins 61'), Bartley, Gill, Robinson (C), Fornah, Nto (McAndrew 80'), Wheeldon, Moloney (Osong 80'), Weston.

Subs not used: Shattell (GK).