arrow_downward Catch UP On Social
arrow_downward Open Social
Back to Results

Derby County come from behind to secure a 2-1 victory against Sheffield Wednesday in their return to Sky Bet Championship action following the international break.

The Owls took the early lead after 12 minutes when Adam Reach slotted in from close range as the Rams took a while to ease into the game.

However, when they found their way in, they proved difficult for Wednesday to handle. Harry Wilson struck sweetly just before the half an hour mark before Jack Marriott’s fine finish took the lead and give Derby their first victory at Hillsborough since 2014.

The Rams had a slow first 15 minutes of football as they returned to action following the fortnight break. They struggled to make anything on the offense while their defence was tested in the opening minutes by the home side.

Mason Mount, in his return from injury, cleared a shot off the line from a Sheffield corner although the whistle had already been blown for a foul on Richard Keogh. Moments later Lucas Joao, who proved difficult for Derby in their last outing, fired wide of the post.

They broke the deadlock after 12 minutes however when Reach found space at the right post and slotted past Scott Carson.

The Rams worked their way into the game and found the equaliser by half an hour with superb team play.

A well placed short throw found Andre Wisdom who played through to Duane Holmes who then cut back and crossed to Marriott. The forward's initial shot was blocked and the deflection landed perfectly to Wilson who struck sweetly from the left into the far top corner.

It didn’t take long for Marriott to get his seventh goal of the season with an unstoppable left-footed finish past Cameron Dawson. Florian Jozefzoon, who had been too much to handle for his marker Morgan Fox, fed the ball through for Marriott to shrug off defenders and fire from just inside the area.

Marriott almost grabbed another in the final seconds before the break when his shot from close range off the end of Scott Malone’s cross rattled off the bar.

With Derby on the front foot to start the second-half Wednesday looked for a way back in. It almost came just before an hour when Joao regained possession in the Derby half and fed the ball out to Fernando Forestieri as he reached the box who then fired wide.

Straight down the other end it was Jozefzoon who fired wide after he did well to scoop up a blocked pass by Marriott as he looked for options in front of the goal.

The Owls came close to equalising again when Fox’s header from close range shook the post.

With the action bouncing from end to end, it was then Tom Huddlestone’s turn to have a shot. He flicked the ball over his man before unleashing a rocket from outside the box to force a save from Dawson.

Carson got down to save Reach’s low drive in the final minutes but the hosts couldn’t find the answer and the Rams left Hillsborough with three points.

Sheffield Wednesday: Dawson; Hector, Lees, Baker, Fox (Penney, 74); Forestieri, Pelupessy, Bannan, Matias (Nuhiu, 73); Reach; Joao

Unused Subs: Palmer, Onomah, Thorniley, Wildsmith, Pudil,

Derby County: Carson; Wisdom, Keogh (C), Tomori (Davies, 46), Malone; Huddlestone, Mount (Bryson, 70), Holmes; Jozefzoon (Lawrence, 77), Marriott, Wilson

Unused Subs: Waghorn, Johnson, Pearce, Roos


The Rams will be back on the road on Wednesday when they face Stoke City at Bet365 Stadium, kick-off: 7.45pm.

They will then return home to take on Swansea City at Pride Park Stadium next Saturday, kick-off 3pm.

Match Preview

Team Sheet

Match Stats

Action Areas

Player Stats