Derby County goalkeeper David Marshall was named in the starting line-up for Scotland as they took on the Czech Republic in their UEFA European Championships opener on Monday afternoon.

The 36-year-old saw off competition from Heart of Midlothian’s Craig Gordon and Rangers' Jon McLaughlin to take his place between the posts at Hampden Park, winning his 45th international cap in the process, after he played a starring role in Scotland reaching their first major tournament since 1998 late last year.

However, he was unable to prevent the Tartan Army tasting a 2-0 defeat in front of their own supporters.

Scotland were almost made to pay for indecision at the back after 15 minutes and Patrik Schick thundered a 20-yard effort at goal - but Marshall got down smartly to turn the ball around the post.

However, the visitors took the lead just before half-time as Schick rose to head a right-wing cross beyond the reach of Marshall, who had no chance.

Scotland started the second half well and Celtic's Jack Hendry hit the crossbar three minutes after the interval, but moments later Schick, who plays for German side Bayer Leverkusen, produced a moment of magic to double the Czech Republic’s lead.

After a Scotland attack broke down, he took a couple of steps inside the hosts’ half and hammered a lofted effort from with his left-foot from all of 45 yards over the head of Marshall and into the net.

Steve Clarke’s side pushed for a way back into the game as Lyndon Dykes of Queens Park Rangers and Southampton’s Stuart Armstrong went close, but they were unable to break down the stern Czech backline.

Marshall had to be alert to deny Schick a hat-trick late on as the frontman powered a shot at goal, which he was equal to, while he also kept out a close-range effort from Michal Krmencík.

Former Rams striker Matej Vydra, who currently plays for Premier League side Burnley, was amongst the substitutes for the visitors and he was introduced into the action after 72 minutes.

Scotland face England in their next Group D match at Wembley Stadium on Friday, before facing Croatia in their final group fixture next Tuesday back at Hampden Park.