A frustrating Tuesday night under the lights saw Derby County fall to a 3-1 defeat to Manchester City Under-21s at Pride Park Stadium in the Papa Johns Trophy.

A David McGoldrick goal wasn't enough for the Rams as a hat-trick from Carlos Borges ensured it was the visitors that took the points.

The result saw the Rams exit the competition following three matches in Northern Section - Group F.

Major Moments

It was a slow start to the game with both teams trying to get a feel for the other and it was the visitors that had the first real attempt of any nature after 10 minutes.

Carlos Borges put on the burners to get in behind the Rams defence but was denied by a superb on-rushing save from Scott Loach.

Paul Warne’s men mustered their first shot on target after 20 minutes and it was McGoldrick, who was making his return to the team in his first start for a month, that forced Mikki Van Sas into a fine stop.

He picked up the ball in the final third before beating his man and bending an effort that looked destined for the bottom corner but for the finger-tips of the City keeper.

Borges gave the young Citizens the lead just before the half-hour mark with a well taken strike.

He was played through down the channel and was able to beat everyone for pace before firing an unstoppable effort past Loach.

It was nearly two less than five minutes later, Ben Knight striking the post from around 12-yards out after good work from Oscar Bobb.

And that missed chance came back to bite City when the Rams levelled things up. A Kwaku Oduroh corner was flicked on by James Collins to Richard Stearman whose effort was saved well before McGoldrick was there to poke the rebound home.

Derby started the second-half far better than they did the first and nearly went ahead in the opening couple of minutes through Collins. Craig Forsyth latched onto a lovely through ball from McGoldrick and whipped a low cross in which the striker was inches away from connecting with.

It was the visitors who took the lead in controversial fashion, though. Collins looked to have been fouled on half-way and with him down injured in the centre circle, the referee waved play on and allowed Borges to run through on goal, round Loach and slot home.

Paul Warne opted for a quadruple substitution following the second City goal and it nearly paid dividends instantly. Eiran Cashin, who came on in place of Korey Smith, headed over unmarked with his first touch following a Liam Thompson a corner.

Another of the changes, Lewis Dobbin, then found himself through on goal but fired over whilst seemingly being tugged back by the City defender.

William Osula was next to try his luck as Derby continued their search for an equaliser - firing just wide from the edge of the box.

As the Rams pressed to find an equaliser, they left themselves open at the back and in doing so, the visitors sealed the game.

Just as nine minutes stoppage time were indicated, a breakaway ended up with that man Borges again in the box and his effort deflected past a helpless Loach to hand City the points.

After playing all three Northern Section - Group F matches and picking up four points, the defeat means the Rams will not be able to progress to the knockout stages.

What's Next Up?

The Rams return to League One action this Friday night when they travel to Portman Road to take on Ipswich Town (8pm kick-off).

The Teams

Derby County: Loach (GK), Forsyth, Collins (68' Osula), McGoldrick (68' Dobbin), Smith (66' Cashin), Roberts, Thompson, Stearman (C), Oduroh, Rooney, Knight (38' Sibley) (68' Bird)

Substitutes not used: Wildsmith (GK), Hawkins.

Manchester City Under-21s: Van Sas (GK), Breckin, Bobb, Charles (C), Katongo, O’Reilly (87' Adam) , Lewis, Borges, Burns (61' Samuel), Knight (80' Dickson), Wilson

Substitutes not used: Robertson, Murray-Jones, Mebude