Derby County exited the Premier League Cup at the Quarter Final stage following a 3-2 defeat against Newcastle United.

The Rams recovered from two goals behind to send the game into extra time, however, Mo Sangare notched the winner in the first period as the Rams fell at the Quarter Final stage.

Goals from Owen Bailey and Matthew Longstaff put the Magpies two goals ahead at the half time interval, however, the Rams valiantly fought back.

Calum Macdonald curled a free kick into the corner from 18 yards with 20 minutes of the game remaining and the comeback was complete when Josh Shonibare equalised on 76 minutes.

However, Sangare’s rebounded effort from close range won the game for the hosts to secure their place in the final four of the competition.

The hosts almost took the lead in the opening three minutes of the game as Longstaff was allowed space inside the penalty area, however, goalkeeper Henrich Ravas made a superb block.

Derby started to dominate possession and almost took the lead on seven minutes. Jayden Mitchell-Lawson took the ball down and fired at goal but Newcastle goalkeeper Nathan Harker made a fine save.

The stopper was forced into action again soon after as he saved from Macdonald’s free kick from 25 yards.

Midway through the half, Darren Wassall’s side almost took the lead as the ball was cut back to Alex Babos but Magpies defender Bailey managed to block his goalbound effort.

For all the Rams dominance, they would fall behind on 39 minutes. A free kick into the box by Longstaff found the head of Bailey and he guided his effort into the corner to give the hosts the lead.

One soon became two minutes later as Longstaff turned goalscorer. He met a cut back and slid the ball into the corner to double Newcastle’s lead.

The Rams needed a lift in the second half and the introduction of Shonibare on the hour mark made the difference.

He won a free kick right on the edge of the box on 68 minutes and Macdonald curled the ball up and over the wall to pull a goal back for the Rams.

The momentum was with Wassall’s side and they eventually equalised with only 15 minutes of the game remaining.

A looping ball into the box found the head of the onrushing Shonibare and he nodded past Harker to send the game to extra time.

Shonibare had a huge opportunity to get his second of the game and put the Rams ahead for the first time in the game two minutes into the first period.

He was released through on goal but Harker managed to make a save at his feet to ensure it remained level.

However, against the run of play, Newcastle did manage to retake the lead. Kellen Gordon was adjudged to have fouled his man in the penalty area and the referee pointed to the spot.

Ravas did manage to save Bailey’s penalty, however, Sangare followed up on the rebound to put the hosts ahead for the second time in the afternoon.

That goal took the wind out of Derby’s sails as they struggled to get back into the encounter. Sangare almost notched his second and Newcastle’s fourth at the end of the first period, however, defender Lee Buchanan was back just in time to deny the forward.

It ended in heartbreak for the Young Rams who fought until the end, however, they could not find a way past the stubborn Newcastle defence.